Port of Grays Harbor

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting

August 19, 2014

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting 2014 – Meeting 7

The Harbor Safety meeting of August 19, 2014 was called to order by Chair John Doucette at 10:03 a.m. at the Port of Grays Harbor Commission Chambers in, Aberdeen, Washington.

Those in attendance at the meeting were as follows:

John Doucette - Westway Terminals
Mike Johnson - Port of Grays Harbor
Brian Shay - City of Hoquiam
Leonard Barnes - Port of Grays Harbor
Marisa Yauch - Port of Grays Harbor
Elizabeth Chien - US Army Corps of Engineers
Fred Goheen - Jones Stevedoring
Kevin Campbell - Brusco Tug and Barge
Kayla Dunlap - Port of Grays Harbor
Aaron Byron - Kiewit-General
Craig Wear - Transmarine
Gary Nelson - Port of Grays Harbor
Marc Horton - Port of Grays Harbor
Aaron Leatherman - Imperium
Vince Addington - General Steamship Corporation
Steve Ogle - Department of Ecology

Items discussed were as follows:

Introductions:

From the Chairman

John Doucette completed roll call for attendees over the phone.

Reports:

Port
Gary Nelson reported on the fact that the Coast Guard has recommended the removal of the GH buoy. The vessel pilots believe this buoy is critical to safe navigation in Grays Harbor. The pilots and Port do realize that the buoys are costly and would be more willing to see the wave buoy, which is harder to see, removed. The Port sent a letter to the Coast Guard a few weeks ago addressing concerns with this change and has not heard a response back from them. The group was expecting to have Coast Guard representation today to get more feedback on the reasoning for this recommendation, but unfortunately no representatives were able to attend.

Marc Horton mentioned that he will be meeting with the Army Corps this Friday to work out a dredging schedule for this fall. He is hoping that late September or early October will be where they work on T4, T2 and then the channel dredging. Each year the Corps and the Port has been working to dredge smarter as there is continually more material to dredge and less funding. Advanced planning aims to maximize results of the project. They also plan to look at an overall coordination on deeper draft.

Mike Johnson reported on a conference he attended which is planning for a Cascadia Subduction Zone emergency event exercise in June of 2016. There will be a large drill for earthquake and tsunami preparation which will align the State, FEMA, all branches of the military, Ports, Cities and other maritime efforts for an inter-state and inter-region response team. They have already done a similar drill in AK and are planning for a 2015 drill in CA. The first method of transport in the wake of a disaster would likely be air travel, but marine traffic would be important as well. This will be a four day exercise to get all of the entities on the same page for efficient evacuations in the event of a large emergency.

Gary Nelson also mentioned that he had a good conversation with Fawn Sharp from the Quinault Tribe recently and they have appointed a member to join in on the HSC committee.

Ecology
Steve Ogle from Ecology spoke of the progress on the marine and rail reports for transport of Crude oil through our state. There are upcoming meetings in September and October to prioritize concerns and take public comments. They are on a tight timeline schedule and have been making progress on data collection and public input. John Doucette mentioned links on the DOE website that Scott Ferguson is hoping to have filled out by people on our HSC for specific concerns they have regarding the project or specific locations of transfer. Steve also mentioned power points and flipcharts pulled together for the meetings held August 5th and 7th. The more they can get questionnaires filled out the better. They will still have a public comment period after the document is complete, but would prefer to incorporate any concerns up front if possible. In regards of the increase in traffic from pipelines to rail they would like to address as many concerns as they are able.

Coast Guard
No reports.

Corps of Engineers
Elizabeth Chien, Marc Horton and Gary Nelson met with the Quinault Tribe to get details on their drift net season this year. Dredging activities must be completed around their schedule. Tribal fishing has made a new deal with the state so they are working to see when this can work out for all parties.

Incidents / Communications Discussion

None to report at this time.

Presentations

No presentations.

Old Business

John Doucette touched on the need of the committee to craft the voting structure more definitively to keep things organized and manageable. He said Doug Coburn, who was not able to attend this meeting, was working on the voting restructure to put in the bylaws. He should have something before the next meeting to vote on; the main goal is to get something down on paper to be evaluated.

John Doucette also shared a dredging communications and protocol document that was written with the intent to add to the Standards of Care. This piece was a gap in the original SoC document and needed to be addressed. Mr. Doucette read the communication aloud and passed a copy out to those in the room, there were no corrections or objections to the requirements.

Motion was made by Aaron Leatherman and seconded by Fred Goheen that the committee adds this piece of Dredging Communications and Protocol to the SoC and it was accepted with a unanimous vote in favor.

New Business – Membership Requests

Aaron Leatherman reported that Imperium will be conducting spill drills required by DOE for Class 1 Terminal designation. These drills will include placing a boom at T1 and other local GRP’s in conjunction with NRCES and CCS on Tuesday, September 16th. They are currently working on their five year updates to the Integrated Contingency Plan (ICP). They are in a 30 day public review and comment period that ends September 12, 2014.

Next Meeting

Now that the Standards of Care are complete and only updates are needed, the group will move to an every other month schedule unless there is a need for higher frequency. The next meeting will be held in the PGH Commission Chambers on Tuesday, October 21st.

Adjourn

Today’s meeting adjourned at 10:32 a.m.