Port of Grays Harbor

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting

February 17, 2015

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting 2015 – Meeting 1

The Harbor Safety meeting of February 17, 2015 was called to order by Chair John Doucette at 10:03 a.m. at the Port of Grays Harbor Commission Chambers in, Aberdeen, Washington.

Those in attendance at the meeting were as follows:

John Doucette - Westway Terminals
Leonard Barnes - Port of Grays Harbor
Marisa Yauch - Port of Grays Harbor
Kevin Campbell - Brusco Tug and Barge
Fred Goheen - Jones Stevedoring
Aaron Leatherman - Imperium Grays Harbor
Junior Goodell - Quinault Tribe
Sean Morrison - USCG
Sean Orr - Department of Ecology
Mandy Garcia - Pasha Stevedoring Terminals
Elizabeth Chien - USACE
Charles Wallace - GH County Emergency Management
Brian Shay - City of Hoquiam
Ryan White - Port of Grays Harbor
Doug Coburn - General Steamship Corp.
Ken Lawrenson - USCG
Matt Dicrescentis - Kiewit-General

Items discussed were as follows:

Introductions:

From the Chairman

John Doucette completed roll call for all attendees present and over the phone.

Approval of August Minutes:

Motion made by Doug Coburn, seconded by Kevin Campbell and unanimously approved, the meeting minutes from December 16, 2014 were approved.

Reports:

Port

No Reports

Ecology

Sean Orr from Ecology spoke on a large sheen which was reported in the Hoquiam River on Saturday, February 14th. It was determined that this came from a pond near Rayonier. The DOE is working with the Coast Guard and other local groups to ensure this is cleaned up as thoroughly as possible and investigated. In the early stages of clean up it does appear that the responsible parties will be accepting the costs for clean-up. Early investigation found that the material came down 28th Street from Rayonier. Workers had apparently turned on pumps and motors which had not been used for quite some time resulting in some leakage. Cowlitz Clean Sweep was one of the first on scene and created a cofferdam to minimize damage.

The Marine and Rail Transportation study is on track to be released March 2nd on the DOE website. Ecology is also working on bill 1449 which is currently in the legislature.

Coast Guard

The Coast Guard reported that they have maritime cyber security documents in the works. They are seeking public input on cyber vulnerabilities if anyone in the group has ideas to consider.

Corps of Engineers

Elizabeth Chien gave an update on dredging in the area. They have completed the pinch point in Hoquiam which was possible because of the extended work window they were allowed. Next, they will work on dredging the Kiewit Channel for the pontoon float out in early March. Then will start with Cow Point 2 and finish with the turning basin in time to be out of the water in mid-March. Buoy 11 will be moved between now and the beginning of April, it will be moved back into position in early May. This will allow Manson to come in to dredge portions of the bar and entrance channel around mid-April.

John Doucette asked for further information on the timing of the deeper draft dredging that was partially funded for FY2015 by the USACE. Ms. Chien explained that the contract for the deepening is in the works and will include three years of maintenance dredging along with the more extensive project of two feet of additional deepening. They will need to look at many factors and be sure that bidders have the proper equipment to complete the removal of the extra two feet which will be dredged throughout the channel. The project is expected to begin on October 1, 2015 and plan to work through February 14, 2016. Then they will continue working in July of 2016 through September 30, 2016.

Leonard Barnes asked when the contract is going out to bid. Ms. Chien stated they plan to advertise at the end of May, for 30 days. They are forming a full RFP, but have not yet determined if this will be available to the small works roster or will be open to everybody. They plan to award the contract by mid-July.

On February 5 there was a meeting held by USACE with many companies that may submit bids for the deeper draft project. Ms. Chien said that there was a lot of interest and good questions asked. The deepening project will be based on more than price since there is a lot involved and extensive equipment needed. They will be taking many factors into account.

Junior Goodell asked if there was a government to government meeting with the Quinault Nation on the upcoming deepening prior to the funding decision. Ms. Chien was fairly certain these meetings had taken place, but this would have been handled by another person in the corps. She knows they are taking into account the fish windows and accommodating the gill net seasons. They will be sticking to the lower region until November.

Incidents / Communications Discussion

Doug Coburn thought it would be valuable to discuss the response plan that took place as a result of the sheen found near the Rayonier plant. At the next HSC meeting he thought it would be helpful to discuss how the communication was handled to see if there is room for improvement.

Presentations

No presentations

Old Business

John Doucette sent out the proposed final charter changes two weeks prior to the February meeting. The group was asked if they found any issues with the proposed changes and everyone agreed with the way the document was written. Mr. Coburn made a motion to approve the charter documents as written, Kevin Campbell seconded, and the group unanimously agreed to finalize the charter documents. John Doucette will work to get the documents on the website, and the group agreed this is a good foundation moving forward.

New Business

Matt Dicrescentis talked about the final pontoon float out for the 520 floating bridge. These will start to journey to Seattle late on March 9th and into early March 10th. They will be sold and inspected by Friday the 13th, and will require two days of less than 6 feet swells to make it to their destination. If the Port is open they may stay here and extra few days, but if not they might go to John’s River to await the optimal conditions.

John Doucette mentioned the need for incident management guidelines for initial actions and communications. Actions and resources for spills or other issues are something that could be adapted to this group. Mr. Coburn mentioned wanting to document communication channels for what makes sense in Grays Harbor. Aaron Leatherman mentioned that Imperium is the only Class 1 terminal in Grays Harbor and they already have an extensive document for this purpose.

The group has decided to put together an incident management team that will put this document together using resources and documents from all of these different areas. The team includes Sean Orr, Aaron Leatherman, Coast Guard incident management team, John Doucette and Doug Coburn. They will work to come up with a document for incident communications that will be specific to the HSC Committee.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held in the PGH Commission Chambers on Tuesday, April 21st, 2015.

Adjourn

Today’s meeting adjourned at 10:55 a.m.