Port of Grays Harbor

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting

February 16, 2016

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting 2016 – Meeting 1

The Harbor Safety meeting of February 16, 2016 was called to order by Chair Kevin Campbell at 10:04 a.m. at the Port of Grays Harbor Commission Chambers in, Aberdeen, Washington.

Those in attendance at the meeting were as follows:

Kevin Campbell - Brusco Tug & Barge
Mike Johnson - Port of Grays Harbor
Darren DeLoe - REG Grays Harbor
Doug Coburn - General Steamship Corp.
Elizabeth Chien - USACE
Fred Goheen - Jones Stevedoring
Seth Taylor - Port of Grays Harbor
Mandy Garcia - Pasha Stevedoring & Terminals
Marisa Yauch - Port of Grays Harbor
Craig Wear - Transmarine
Garrett Dalan - The Nature Conservancy
Scott Ferguson - Department of Ecology
Larry Thevik - WDCFA
Laura Springer - USCG MSU Portland
Linda Orgel - CCH

Items discussed were as follows:

Introductions:

From the Chairman

Kevin Campbell completed roll call for all attendees present and over the phone.

Approval of December Minutes:

Chair, Kevin Campbell, noted that he would like to defer the approval of the meeting minutes as there was not a quorum present at the meeting. The group agreed to wait until the following meeting to approve the minutes.

Reports:

Port
Mike Johnson, Port of Grays Harbor, reported on a contract recently completed by American Construction Company, Inc. for annual terminal maintenance dredging. Between Terminal 2 and Terminal 4 berths 40,727 cubic yards were removed at $10.03 per yard totaling $408,444.01. This was four days of work and completes the winter dredging. The next window for dredging opens the 15th of July.

Larry Thevik asked if the disposal went to South Beach. Mr. Johnson responded that this dredging is separate from the Corps work. This was for the PGH channel only.

Ecology

Scott Ferguson, Department of Ecology, reported that there are a couple of bills relating to rail issues which are being worked on now, but nothing to report at this time.

The risk work on the Columbia River is coming together; the contractors should be in place later this week for this risk assessment project. Plans are in place for the Grays Harbor risk assessment; if all goes through as expected this will begin in the next biennium.

Mr. Ferguson also reported on the second Salish Sea workshop that will discuss way to reduce risk of waterways will be held October 18-19, 2016 at the Whatcom county emergency center in Bellingham, WA. He welcomes any feedback on people that should be included in the information for this event.

Kevin Campbell stated that he will be provided a list of all contacts in our HSC.

Doug Coburn asked for clarification on the timeline for the next biennium. Mr. Ferguson stated that funding support is expected in July of 2017 which would begin the approximately 2 year project.

Coast Guard

Lieutenant Laura Springer, USCG Portland, reported that JLOTS – Joint Logistics Over the Shore that was mentioned at the last HSC meeting. This is no longer planned for Grays Harbor; it was moved to Indian Island, WA. No further discussion is needed on the implications this would have had if the training exercise were held in Westport.

Ms. Springer also mentioned that during dredging they have decided against designated safety areas. Communication on boundaries will be direct through the Army Corps of engineers and the fishermen.

Larry Thevik inquired about the issue of anchorage for large vessels off shore. This was raised in the last meeting regarding required distance off shore for anchoring if the berth is not ready or bad weather keeps them from coming into the channel.

Lieutenant Springer stated that the Coast Guard is working on creating a standard requirement. At this time there are no designated anchoring requirements. They are looking for a collaborative approach so vessels are monitored for safety and a communication tool so all are more aware of large vessels. Ken Lawrenson drafted some language which will be sent out for feedback.

Corps of Engineers

Elizabeth Chien, USACE, reported that they plan to finish their channel dredging by February 28th with 90% of the materials going to Point Chehalis and 10% to the South Jetty side. They have cleaned out shoaling at Cow Point and the turning basin. They are planning to begin dredging of the outer reaches beginning April 1, 2016 for 60 days. The specifics of this project will be made through public announcements to the Crabbers Association, Quinault Nation and the Port through the Notice to Mariners. The contractor for this project is the same as last year and they will be using South Beach and Point Chehalis as disposal areas.

The dredge does have turning restrictions and there will be more communication with crabbers to ensure everyone is aware of actions taking place. Ms. Chien will look further into the issues associated with the turning of the dredge. If there are adjustments that can be made that will be beneficial for disposal then there may be some changes.

Laura Springer stated if there is a change they can certainly issue a Notice to Mariners. Ms. Chien stated that she will have to look into this further. There have been issues in the past as it is a dangerous area.

Incidents / Communications Discussion

No incidents

Presentations

No presentations

Old Business

Kevin Campbell came back to the approval of the meeting minutes. There was now a quorum counted at the meeting and he would like to vote on approval if all are in agreement. Garrett Dalan has a few changes to what he stated at the previous meeting in these minutes. Marisa Yauch will work with Mr. Dalan to ensure this portion of the minutes is adjusted before being finalized.

Doug Coburn moved that the minutes be approved with the small adjustment. Larry Thevik seconded, and the group unanimously approved the meeting minutes from December 15, 2015.

Laura Springer commented on a deep draft vessel that was at risk of grounding in December 2015. This was 25 miles off shore and the Captain had to be helped through regaining control of the vessel in stormy weather. No further incident occurred in this instance, but this is brought up to address environmental concerns that could occur if a vessel is not in control especially if too close to shore.

New Business

Kevin Campbell announced that Garrett Dalan had submitted a membership application for the Environmental Advocacy position. There is some concern over the term “advocate” and why this is not attached to the other voting member titles.

Garrett Dalan, The Nature Conservancy, expressed that he would like to become a member of the committee. He has ample experience with environmental concerns and will be a great addition.

Doug Coburn moved that the group accept Garrett Dalan as the voting member for the Environmental Advocacy seat on the committee. Fred Goheen seconded, and the group unanimously approved.

Doug Coburn proposed that the group review the charter at the next meeting. A few members have joined the group since the last review and an update will be beneficial for everyone. With the risk assessment study on the horizon he mentioned that DOE will be looking for information from our committee. If the study is approved, the next biennium will be here before we know it and we should be prepared. Mr. Coburn has been involved a bit in the other committees in the state so he can help us with preparation. The group should review the website information and see if updates are needed. The information will be reviewed and changes will be brought to the committee for approval.

Kevin Campbell wanted to see if the group would be interested in moving the meetings to quarterly. Some of the other groups may be meeting more in the quarterly range so perhaps this would work for this group.

Scott Ferguson commented that the Puget Sound HSC meets every other month and he feels that is a good frequency for this group. Others agreed that it would be best to keep it every other month so it was agreed to not make any changes to the schedule at this time.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held in the PGH Commission Chambers on Tuesday, April 19th, 2016.

Adjourn

Today’s meeting adjourned at 10:55 a.m.