Port of Grays Harbor

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting

December 20, 2016

Harbor Safety Committee Meeting 2016 – Meeting 6

The Harbor Safety meeting of December 20, 2016 was called to order by Kevin Campbell at 10:00 a.m. at the Port of Grays Harbor Commission Chambers in, Aberdeen, Washington.
Those in attendance at the meeting were as follows:

Kevin Campbell - Brusco Tug and Barge
Mike Johnson - Port of Grays Harbor
Elizabeth Chien - USACE
Laura Springer - USCG Portland
Darren DeLoe - REG
Fred Goheen - Jones Stevedoring
Marisa Yauch - Port of Grays Harbor
Scott Ferguson - DOE
Garrett Dalan - The Nature Conservancy
Linda Orgel - CCH
Arthur Grunbaum - CCH

Items discussed were as follows:

Introductions:

From the Chairman
Kevin Campbell, Chair, completed roll call for all attendees present and over the phone.

Approval of October Minutes:

The group is one person short of a quorum so we will postpone the approval of the minutes until the next meeting or later in this meeting if a quorum is met.

Reports:

Port
Mike Johnson, Port of Grays Harbor, reported on terminal dredging. Bathymetry surveys show the need for dredging at the berths of Teriminals 2 and 4 with a small amount of maintenance work needed at Terminals 1 and 3. This work will take place after the first of the year between vessels when berths are available.

Crews are working on a new dolphin at T4-B. Construction of the steel and concrete structure used to secure vessels at berth is scheduled for completion by the end of February 2017.

Mr. Johnson reported that last week PGH had experienced a breech of security. A crew member from the Densa Cougar departed the vessel and was on secure property unescorted. After review, he was approved for shore leave with proper paperwork, but failed to follow security protocol. He was escorted back to the vessel and PGH filed reports of the incident with required agencies.

Ecology
Scott Ferguson, of the DOE, spoke of the potential for funding of the Grays Harbor vessel and rail traffic assessment in the upcoming legislative session. In order to be ready for this, the HSC needs to organize a separate workgroup. The group should have representation from various stakeholders and be prepared to begin action should funding be allocated in July when the 2 year process would begin. This committee should begin working to develop a group for this effort perhaps using the Chair or Vice Chair from this group. The leader should not be Mr. Ferguson as he will be working closely on many aspects of the report. Being prepared and having a team in place to move forward with issues that will come up in the study will show that the HSC is ready and will increase the likelihood that funds will be awarded for the project.

Garrett Dalan asked if the funding is it’s own line item in the official budget or if it is listed in the budget for Department of Ecology. Mr. Ferguson stated that this is a separate line item and at this point funding is projected to be awarded for the project.

Kevin Campbell asked if the previous assessments were completed by the same contractors. No, there some great contractors out there and strong competition for these contracts. The first two were different contractors so it could be awarded to one of them or a third.

Mr. Dalan mentioned the Washington Coast Marine Advisory Council as a good resource for participants and input on the project. Mr. Ferguson would like to keep the Harbor Safety Committee as the centerpiece of this smaller committee group and keep it centralized. He and his staff will be making an effort to reach out to tribes and other stakeholders in the process.

The plan will be to get things rolling in January to start the planning and set the stage for how the HSC would like to move forward. The focus will be predominantly on spill prevention and keeping hazardous materials where they are supposed to be. This could work out beginning as a gathering prior to the regular HSC meetings once the group is picked and may meet more frequently as the project progresses and defilitely if funding is allocated for the project.

Coast Guard
Laura Springer, of the Coast Guard, inquired about the language which had been previously discussed for offshore anchoring. She was unable to attend the previous meeting, and was informed that the new language was approved by the committee and will be reflected in the Harbor Safety Committee Document.

Corps of Engineers
Elizabeth Chien, USACE, provided an update on dredging stating that they will be taking a few days off for the holiday from the 23rd to the 27th of December. They are near Terminal 4 now and will be stopping the Federal deepending project briefly in January to complete some of the Terminal berth dredging. They will then continue until they are required to stop in the middle of February. The next round of dredging will beind in July of 2017.

Ms. Chien mentioned a structure project which will take place between April and May for about 20 days. The dredging will by government hoppers and will cover the outer harbor, the bar and South reach.

Incidents / Communications Discussion

Kevin Campbell mentioned a fishing boat had beached near Moclips recently. Assistance was called quickly and a tug boat was able to pull it off the beach and back into the water. This is the third fishing boat to beach in the area recently, this one was helped quickly so the incident was minimized.

Presentations

No presentations

Old Business

Updates to the Standards of Care document were mentioned and Marisa Yauch will get the verbiage updated.

New Business

A fifth member of the quorum was able to make it a few minutes into the meeting. The committee would like to take the opportunity to approve the minutes that could not be passed earlier with too few quorum members present.

Approval of October Minutes:

By motion made by Fred Goheen, seconded by Darren Deloe and unanimously approved, the meeting minutes from October 18, 2016 were approved.

Public Comment

No public comment.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held in the PGH Commission Chambers on Tuesday, February 21, 2017.

Kevin Campbell and Scott Ferguson will work together to schedule something for January for committee members interested in being involved on the risk assessment steering committee outside of the HSC.

Adjourn

Today’s meeting adjourned at 10:35 a.m.